Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Goals and Babies

I've been thinking a lot about goals lately. My dad recently retired from the Navy. He put in 25 years as a physician and now he has had to try to figure out what he really wants to do for a living. Or, when he grows up. He wants to open his own practice. He wants to go to Africa to help the people there. He wants to do a lot of different things. The thing is, all he needs to do is decide and he could probably do it.

I have thought about what I would do in that situation. If I had my needs met already, possibly didn't have to go to work, what would I love to do? Would I still go to work every day, just because I like it? What would change? Would I still see all the same patients, or keep the team members I have? If the fear of failure was taken away, how would I operate? Why couldn't I do the same thing now?

I thought about these questions, and thought to myself, “Why not?” I get to choose what I do with my life, who I work with, how many days I work, how big a house I have to pay for...

My wife was due with our sixth baby last Saturday. We are still waiting for our now-overdue baby to come. So I have another reason to revisit my priorities. Kids grow up fast, and if you are not intentional, you might miss out. I want to be more intentional, so I have thought about some more questions.

What is most important to me? Who is most important to me? If I could accomplish one thing in the next month, what would it be? Even more thought-provoking is the "What if I had one month to live?" scenario.

I think sometimes I get caught in the current of life. I get swept away because something is urgent, or somebody asked me to do this or that. If I don't watch out, I will end up missing out on something I know is important, like my life.

Michael Lemme, DDS

No comments:

Disclaimer

PLEASE NOTE: When commenting on this blog, you are affirming that any and all statements, and parts thereof, that you post on “The Daily Grind” (the blog) are your own.


The statements expressed on this blog to include the bloggers postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Academy of General Dentistry (AGD), nor do they imply endorsement by the AGD.