Wednesday, September 25, 2013

"Family" Dentistry

As a new business owner, I’m finding out that some of the most loyal patients I have are my family and close relatives. As I start working on their complex oral health issues, I find myself dwelling on the boundaries of ethics.

I have been under the impression that, as a health care provider, it is legally acceptable to work on family and friends. However, it’s not the most ethical decision, as the relationship that you have with them personally may influence your decision-making as a provider.

I’m beginning to realize this as I get deeper and deeper into treatment with them. I’m also finding out that their reactions to my treatment and instructions are different than they were when their provider was a “stranger.”

I’m the youngest professional in my family so far. I feel like my confidence is affected when I stand above a relative who has known me since I was born, and I feel restricted in what I can and cannot tell them. It may also be a cultural issue, as I was raised to be advised by the elder relatives and not vice-versa. This makes me wonder if I can perform and guide them in treatment as well as I can a patient with whom I don’t have that connection. This is becoming more and more of an internal issue for me and it would be interesting to know if this is something other providers have experienced. Have you experienced this, or is this just a byproduct of being a new provider in the family?

Mona Goodarzi, DDS

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

While I wouldn't blatantly turn away family or friends, I certainly do NOT encourage them to visit. The encounters are often strained and unfortunately you run a high chance of losing a friend when they're in pain from what you did, think they shouldn't pay for what you did, or have a criticism of your work. It creates tension and oftentimes ends badly.

Andy Alas, D.D.S. said...

Some of your worst patients will be: family, friends, and other dentists.

Andy

Unknown said...

Thank you for your comments :) it's great to hear other's experiences with this issue. thanks.
mona

Disclaimer

PLEASE NOTE: When commenting on this blog, you are affirming that any and all statements, and parts thereof, that you post on “The Daily Grind” (the blog) are your own.


The statements expressed on this blog to include the bloggers postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Academy of General Dentistry (AGD), nor do they imply endorsement by the AGD.