Thursday, July 11, 2013

The Future of Dentistry

I was reading the Winter 2013 edition of the Journal of Cosmetic Dentistry (Vol. 28, Issue 4) the other day when I came across a conversation with “cosmetic legend” Dr. David Garber about the effects of technology on dentistry. Reading the questions and answers took me back to undergrad.

I have always had an interest in the fine arts and have always been an artist wannabe. There is something so fascinating and amusing about creating a pleasant visual. Right after college, I decided to pursue my interest in arts and was about to start a graduate program in architecture when my life took a turn. A year later, I found myself in a pre-doctoral dental clinic in San Francisco, producing a different kind of art and enjoying the amazing diversity in the artistic culture of the city.

I went deeper in my thoughts to imagine how my life would have been had I graduated an architect. The architecture that I know and love is sitting behind a draft table with my fine point pencils, sketching my ideas and drafting the structures. The joy in being creative to me is not just in having a creative imagination, but also in the skills that enable me to execute it hands-on. As an architect now however, I would be sitting behind a computer screen and using my mouse. I would drag and drop the lines and with only a few clicks, my imagination would take existence. While it would still be an amazing opportunity to show my creativity, I would miss my pencils greatly. This once again reassured me that I had chosen the right path in a career that will never replace my hands-on work with computer software. Or will it?

What is the future of dentistry and where are we headed? Will I soon be sitting behind a computer screen with a scan of my patient’s mouth, programming a robot to perform the treatment? Maybe not to that extent, but it sure seems like we are headed in that direction.

Take a minute to recap how far we have come in dentistry with respect to new gadgets and technologies. It’s unbelievable. Electronic records software can do about 80% of what an administrative assistant would do. Digital radiography eliminates the necessity of an assistant developing films. Auto-fill obturator units eliminate the need for a dentist to condense laterally or vertically. Lasers give everyone the skillful hands that once only a trained surgeon would have had. CAD/CAM technology may one day fully replace the skills of a ceramist!

There are many ideas that are circling around dentistry that may not be yet functional. But imagine a day when they all develop to work just as beautifully as a human hand. How unreal is the work of tomorrow to the limited capacity or our current minds. Just as in the medical field surgeries are being done remotely with robots, I see a day in the future of our field where a programmed intra-oral robot may take over my chairside time and I would only have to endorse the treatment plan! It would be much easier on my back, but for some reason I question whether I want to be around when it actually becomes mainstream!

Mona Goodarzi, DDS

1 comment:

Disclaimer

PLEASE NOTE: When commenting on this blog, you are affirming that any and all statements, and parts thereof, that you post on “The Daily Grind” (the blog) are your own.


The statements expressed on this blog to include the bloggers postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Academy of General Dentistry (AGD), nor do they imply endorsement by the AGD.