Wednesday, May 1, 2013

One Law of Leadership

I have been reading the classic book by John Maxwell, "The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership." Every chapter gives me another lesson and another challenge to improve myself. One of my favorite chapters is about the Law of Addition.

The Law of Addition is about how a leader should lead through service to those you lead. Maxwell's example of a servant leader is Jim Sinegal from Costco. He doesn't take home a $100 million salary, even though his company is the fourth largest retailer in the country. He uses folding tables and answers his own phone. Jim Sinegal serves his employees, and they are loyal. Costco has the lowest turnover rate in all of retail.

I have had issues with turnover in my practice, but I hope I am learning. We have changed our hiring process, among other things, improving our team culture. I have learned over the last few years that training my team, giving back to them, educating them and improving their skills improves the practice as a whole.

I was told at church a long time ago that when you're in a leadership position, you should always, "train your replacement." That doesn't mean your assistant will replace you totally. But how great would it be if she could replace you in those tasks she can legally take off your hands? That would free you up to do those things only you can do. Give them training, and they will give time back to you. Sounds like a fair trade.

Michael Lemme, DDS

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dr. L

"I have had issues with turnover in my practice, but I hope I am learning. We have changed our hiring process, among other things, improving our team culture. I have learned over the last few years that training my team, giving back to them, educating them and improving their skills improves the practice as a whole."

It may improve your practice but it doesn't make staff more likely to stay.
I am an awesome boss and we have a great practice. But people leave.
If I knew why then I would change it but I can't put my finger on it.
I give them raises they still leave. I take them to "team building" things, they still leave. Bonuses....leave.
CE....leave.
(look I have a 34 year staff member, an 18 year staff member and a 15 year. So I don't have a high turnover rate....but I still DO have it)

So don't beat yourself up over turnover.
I have had friends that loved their staff and one day he came to work and they all put in their notices.
I had another friend who's "office manager" of 12 years left him for $1 an hour more.

People will just leave and I am convinced there is nothing you can do about it.
It is just part of owning a small business.
Just do the best you can.

Disclaimer

PLEASE NOTE: When commenting on this blog, you are affirming that any and all statements, and parts thereof, that you post on “The Daily Grind” (the blog) are your own.


The statements expressed on this blog to include the bloggers postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Academy of General Dentistry (AGD), nor do they imply endorsement by the AGD.