Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Noise in the System

Hello again everyone. Happy Spring. It is amazing how fast the time flies. It seems like just a month ago, it was the start of a new year, and now we are almost 1/3 done with 2013.

Did you pay your taxes? I know of several dentists that are in the dog house with the IRS and two that are about to go the Big House. Who in their right mind thinks they will be able to get away with not paying taxes? I don’t like to pay taxes, but I like the repercussions even less.

There was a football coach of a major university that would use the term “noise in the system” when people would criticize the team, a player, or a coaching call. That is how he described all of the outside issues that would distract the team focus. We have so much of that in dentistry.

The noise in the system I have seen comes recently from a friendly MD who likes to get on national TV and tell everyone how bad dental radiographs or amalgams are. These issues distract me and my dental when we have to reassure our patients and undo the myths and ideas that he has put in their heads. I know some of the patients believe me, but others just believe the talking head on TV. It can be draining when I hear about all the “horrible” things the dentist does to you. He is telling viewers what, when, and how their dentists should be treating them! Should it not bother me, or what? All I know is that it irritates the heck out of me most of the time.

Have you heard the commercial on XM radio talking about bleaching your teeth? It says that their system will even bleach crowns, fillings and veneers? What is it? Is this substance some new miracle potion that defies the laws of chemistry and physics? I have to explain when patients give me the third degree about why my stuff is not as good as the stuff on the radio.

“Ohhhh! You want the real good stuff?” Sometimes I just want to hand them a bottle of correction fluid and leave!

Have a good week.

JJ

No comments:

Disclaimer

PLEASE NOTE: When commenting on this blog, you are affirming that any and all statements, and parts thereof, that you post on “The Daily Grind” (the blog) are your own.


The statements expressed on this blog to include the bloggers postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Academy of General Dentistry (AGD), nor do they imply endorsement by the AGD.