Wednesday, April 24, 2013

I Am a Female Dentist

Certainly, something comes to mind when you read the following statements:

I am a dentist.
I am female.
I am a female dentist.

What are the first things that you think of when I make those statements? Don’t get me wrong; I am not trying to recreate a women’s liberation movement. I can tell you, however, that I am still fighting my way into the Boy’s Club here. Despite the numbers showing equalized ratios, I have yet to see young male “hotties” hocking the newest dental equipment in journals and at conventions.

I recently saw an advertisement for a golden lead apron, and the very young, female woman model was scantily dressed. Really? Who was that company focusing on for their target market group? Not a mid-30s female dentist, that is for certain. If nothing else, they just lost an educated consumer for life due to their blatantly sexist ad. That is one snippet of the thousands of ads I encounter weekly. If you think that I am exaggerating or blowing this out of proportion, pay attention at your next large state annual session. Just stand in the middle and look around at the vendors. Have you ever wondered why they all seem to have young, attractive women in skirts and heels? Hmmm… A point to ponder.

I expect more from my profession and those who serve it. I have a higher standard for my profession than what I see in the grocery store aisle reading selection. I also know what I have experienced firsthand in my first decade in the profession - some are positives, some are negatives, and some are downright disrespectful.

Positive
I was sought after. My partner specifically wanted to bring in a female associate. He was smart enough to recognize the value that the opposite sex can provide for patient care and practice growth. Often, parents want their child to see the “lady doctor.” I have the ability to connect with patients on a level that many male dentists do not, and there are a lot of patients who desire that connection. There are also instances when, as a business partner, I can relate to the staff easier and interpret the situation differently.

Negative
I feel that some patients seek me out as an easy target. Patients have had a tendency to demand something of me that I know they wouldn’t dare request of my male partner. Fortunately, I have identified those situations now and have less to contend with.

Disrespectful
Let me point out that early in my career I was, without a doubt, more passive and less vocal. I don’t encounter as many issues now, but I still see it happen occasionally. I believe it was my first state annual conference and Tom (now partner, then employer) and I were headed for CE and exhibits. I can recount several instances when I was greeted with “Mrs. Wife, it was nice meeting you.” Reps from large dental companies hadn't made an effort to look at my tag labeling me as a member dentist; they assumed that I was a spouse. Fortunately, Tom handled it well. He told them that I wasn’t his wife but the new doc in the office, and apologized that he didn’t make that clear when they spoke. I have also been mistaken for a team member at a large meeting while our staff was checking in.

It also happens when I call in a prescription for a patient. It often goes something like this:

Me: “Good afternoon, this is Dr. Colleen DeLacy. I am calling in a prescription for Mrs. Jones.”
Pharmacist: “Okay. And your name is?”
Me: “Dr. DeLacy.”
Pharmacist: “Yes. But what is your name?”
Me: “I AM THE DOCTOR.”
Pharmacist: “Oh.”

What do I do with these experiences? Early on, I would become agitated, annoyed, and angered. Now, I make certain a clear correction is made; it usually causes the person in error to become uncomfortable and notably self-conscious. Is it wrong of me to make the correction? Absolutely not. I have completed the same rigorous curriculum, passed the same boards, and deserve the same respect as my male counterparts.

I would have liked to include factual statistics to demonstrate the increasing trend of female dentists, but most resources I encountered were more than eight years old. With more than 37,000 AGD members, I am curious to know how the male to female ratio of the AGD compares to that of the ADA. Please feel free to comment with your input. I am writing this article the week of my own state's Annual Session, and I plan to comment if my experience is vastly different this year.

Until next time…

Colleen B. DeLacy, DDS

16 comments:

Unknown said...

I think the fact that more females are going into the general dentistry field is absolutely awesome! Great post.

Unknown said...

A dentist is an qualified medical professional who specializes in the care of teeth, gums, and mouths. Thanks for this superb post. It will really help a lot of people.
dentist

Lilya Horowitz DDS said...

Female dentists FTW!

As with everything in life, being a male or female comes with distinct advantages. Most women are good at color perception, communication and multitasking, which are quite important in the field of dentistry. Sadly, I find most of the patients that question my ability are women themselves. We need to start supporting each other! Great post :)

Lilya

Anonymous said...

I am a female about to enter dental school. I worked my "behind" off to get there and can't wait to see what the future holds. I always wondered if female dentists were treated differently. Any advice?

Unknown said...

Dear Anonymous - First, Congratulations on journey into Dental School. Fortunately the future is great! Being perfectly frank and honest - the Dental Educators are on the forefront. I did not see, feel, nor experience many disparities while in dental school setting. My advice first and foremost, try (as hard as it may be at times), to not allow yourself to be angered nor bitter by situations. You'll stronger despite it.

Dea said...

Wow!
There are so many problems in being a female dentist.
I am a dentist in training and I do find some issues in dealing with daily life.
There are so many stereotype and expectation of being onee.
This issue is something new

Unknown said...

Well, good for you! I love this post, it makes me happy! I am glad to see that you won't give up and that you are working hard towards your dream! Keep it up, you're going to make it so far. http://www.shellharbourcitydental.com.au

summerbrook said...

I agree with John smith – this blog is a cool way for you to express your professional opinions as a dentist/writer and also keep patients up to date on the newest technologies and services in the industry. It’s cool that you’ve

given people a voice, too, and encourage conversation. Awesome, I look forward to seeing more!

summerbrook last blog post dentist aurora co

summerbrook said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I think it's great that you are working so hard to make your dream happen. I agree it's definitely more of a male profession, but I admire your determination and willingness to change that stereotype. You are such a great inspiration for women and I hope my daughters know that they can become dentists or whatever they want to be from seeing women like you. http://mountainviewdentalhealth.ca/new-patients/

Unknown said...

Colleen, this was a great post about what it is like to be a female in a mostly male dominated profession. My sister has been thinking about being a dentist for a while now. She is at a point where should could use some inspiration. I will have to show this to her.
Emily Smith | http://www.dentalmed.ca/en/meet_dr._nelly.html

Anonymous said...

This past week I had the pleasure of being seen by two female dentist.
What a difference it is from a "get it done" man to a female dentist. I was so comfortable that I actually snored once.., I opened my eyes embarrassed to see the dentist and the assistant smiling.. This was my first check up in a decade.. I don't know if it carries the same weight coming from a guy but.. GIRL POWER.!!

Archpoint said...

The fact that there are more female dentists going into the field is refreshing. Being able to have that trustworthiness/rapport with your patient is the ultimate goal. Great post!

swaggy said...

You have a genuine capacity for composing extraordinary substance. I like how you think and the way you speak to your perspectives in this article. I concur with your state of mind. Much obliged to you for sharing. השתלות שיניים ביום אחד מחירים

Unknown said...

My 16 yr old sister asked me for advice today and told me she was looking into changing law to dentistry. Im in the entertainment industry ( concert and event planner) she asked me if it would be wise to change all her schedule classes to med, since she is having 2nd thoughts of law since it is a man runned profession. She wants to get married and have kids right out of high school, with her hs sweet heart to get all started before she gets caught up in school. She is a tough and determine young lady, has been through a lot since our dad abused us physically, mentally and her sexully. I love my sis to death and would never want to point her to the wrong path, i wrk a lot and travel a lot as well but i would want a profession for her in which she can thrive financially, travel, and care for her family. What do u recommend first hand as a woman and 2nd a dentist?

Bryaniesha Hills said...

Hey, I am a Dental Assistant that wants to become a Dentist. I have been told by other female dentist to be happy as a assistant and don't pursue becoming a dentist. I want to know, realistically what is the time frame to finish your 4 year program and attend Dental School. I am the first in my family to attend college so all the help would be great.

Disclaimer

PLEASE NOTE: When commenting on this blog, you are affirming that any and all statements, and parts thereof, that you post on “The Daily Grind” (the blog) are your own.


The statements expressed on this blog to include the bloggers postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Academy of General Dentistry (AGD), nor do they imply endorsement by the AGD.