Thursday, October 7, 2010

Friday before the Marathon

[This was supposed to be published last Friday; my apologies.]

Hey all,

Gonna be a short one today. I am off to Chicago tomorrow morning, and I have a very busy day today. I have to tell you - I am kind of nervous. I don't know why. I think because it is out of town and I don't want to forget anything. We are getting in at about 1pm tomorrow, and the Expo where I have to pick up my number and stuff closes at 5pm. This is kind of tight for my liking, but it is what it is.

I have to remember my watch, my Ipod, the chargers, my shoes, and appropriate clothing. I have to remember my camera for my wife to take photos of me winning 1st prize (or just finishing). I have to remember my computer so I can watch DVDs on the plane. I have to go to the store today to by earphones and running stuff before I go. I am just kind of stressed out and, oh yeah, I have to run 26.2 miles on Sunday.

So before I forget, my website for the smiley silly wristbands is up and running. Very basic but it gets the job done. The order is in and for the first 400; we are going to lose money but I want to see how it goes.

I am still in a quandry over the price. It is a packet of 5 dental-related plastic wristbands. What would you sell it for? Or, better yet, what price would you buy it for? $1? $1.50? Would you pay $2? Think about it, and at the end of the blog, I will tell you how much 2,000 bands cost to have made.

Today I am going to tell you about one of my successes and Wednesday I am going to show you how I messed up one tooth. We have been blogging together but we haven't really talked about screwing things up. I think in the three years I have been blogging, I haven't really done anything that was terrible... until today. I am embarrassed to show you, but I think if I show you all my successes it is only fair that I show you when things don't go all that well.

Success
I don't know if we have ever talked about it, but I do root canals. I don't have a problem with doing molars; in fact, I like doing molars. I have been doing root canals since I got out of school. I went to a bunch of hands-on courss after I graduated and felt really confident in my ability (and since then, I feel like I have really improved). I took a Steve Buchanan course and it changed my life. He taught me rotary instrumentation and warm gutta percha obturation. The thing is, I have been doing my root canals the same way for about 12 years.

I have looked at periodicals and they still are teaching the same technique.
I have called my old dental school professor (I know what you are thinking, "Oh, yeah, dental school is where to get cutting-edge dentistry."), and he says that it is still the technique that I am using. Well, the other day I got into this lateral and I soon found out that it was pretty curved.

I thought about closing it up and sending to an endodontist, but I figured, as long as I am here, I might as well see this through. I got to tell you that I didn't think it was going to come out this well. I thought I would be a millimeter short but, man, did it come out well. Here is the final x-ray:



This is a success. Now, before you go thinking about how awesome I am, I just put in a call to my oral surgeon to see how he is going get me out of this doozy that I did today. I will tell you all about it on Wednesday.

Have a great weekend,
John

P.S. Ok, how much would you spend on 5 smiley bands? What if you are a pediatric dentist and you are going to buy 100 packets? How much would you spend for each pack?

Thanks for your help.

No comments:

Disclaimer

PLEASE NOTE: When commenting on this blog, you are affirming that any and all statements, and parts thereof, that you post on “The Daily Grind” (the blog) are your own.


The statements expressed on this blog to include the bloggers postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Academy of General Dentistry (AGD), nor do they imply endorsement by the AGD.