Friday, July 24, 2015

Made in the USA. Made in My Office. Maybe Even Made in the Same Day!

You know those seasons of work life when things seem to be flowing nicely—patients are steady, staff is happy and compliant, you get a lunch hour, and you’re able to leave on time. Maybe you even have time to read the paper or check your emails. (Man, does that sounds appetizing!)

Yea…that’s so not me right now.

We recently dove headfirst into the world of CAD/CAM dentistry. It’s addicting and fun, but I have to say that it’s so much more than I anticipated. I’m young and grew up on video games, so I can only imagine what the learning curve looks like for the generation before me. It’s not easy.

We did it not just for same-day restorative options, but for the control and the cost savings. What I didn’t have a grasp on was the added dimension of scanning and designing. It’s like stopping in the middle of your schedule and putting on your lab tech hat. And when the staff is learning the basics of the system, it’s really up to us as the docs to show them the way (aka mucho doctor chair time).

I’m sure some of you have been or are going into this same season, and it happens with the introduction of any new procedure, system, or piece of technology. If every day was easy and low stress, our jobs just wouldn’t be as fun as they are, right?!? Maybe it’s just me, but I thrive on the constant movement and unpredictability of daily general dentistry, and the overall thinking on my feet that we go through on an hourly/daily/weekly basis. It’s truly why I chose the profession and haven’t regretted it for a second.

Don’t get me wrong: The craziness of the last few weeks has surely cleared out any arterial plaque I’ve built up over the years (I really should get a FitBit to track this madness). It’s definitely a mental and emotional strain. I literally do not need a morning coffee anymore. And I’m sure my staff hates my guts with the outward portrayal of stress that’s seeping out of my pores.

But it’s worth it. It’s worth it for my patients, for my practice, and for me. Everyone needs a little spice in his or her work life. This CAD/CAM thing is here to stay, and I’m excited to get on board!

Donald Murry III, DMD 

No comments:

Disclaimer

PLEASE NOTE: When commenting on this blog, you are affirming that any and all statements, and parts thereof, that you post on “The Daily Grind” (the blog) are your own.


The statements expressed on this blog to include the bloggers postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Academy of General Dentistry (AGD), nor do they imply endorsement by the AGD.