Friday, March 7, 2014

Choose Happiness

Are you happy?

Why or why not?

A couple spoke in church last Sunday about happiness. They did an excellent job, and inspired me to think about what true happiness is.

I remember a time when I was an undergraduate at BYU. We had a 6-month old daughter, and she was just starting to crawl and get into things. I always kept my textbooks by my chair so I could study next to the lamp. Well, she was constantly getting into my books, and knocking them down and playing with them.

I was trying to study, and I was getting frustrated. I couldn't concentrate. I wasn't focused. It was a waste of time. And my daughter was frustrated because she wasn't getting the time she needed from me.

I had to make a decision: I could continue to try to study, or I could put it away and spend time with her. I decided to take the time at home and spend it with her. I did the same thing through dental school, as well. If I was at home, I was 100% at home. It made such a difference.

I sometimes stayed late at school in order to study longer. I sometimes went in early. But when I was home with my daughter, I wasn't frustrated about not being able to study. I was able to enjoy the time we had together as a family.

I decided not to be frustrated. I chose to be happy.

I don't always have that attitude, and I have to remind myself about what is most important. I think back to that time at school, and I relax and put my other stuff away.

I choose to be happy.

Michael Lemme, DDS

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Now I have the similar circumstances as you, I also have a son just 20 months. When I go to home, he will come to me, let me play with him such as opening and closing book, clamping building block, tearing paper, and I can't do other work. Sometimes I am fretful. Now your post inspires me, I will catch the short time to make both of us happy.

Dea said...

this is inspiring. It's so called enjoying the moment. I am doing that too, when I am home, it is my me time, when I am at the dental hospital it's my dental life

Disclaimer

PLEASE NOTE: When commenting on this blog, you are affirming that any and all statements, and parts thereof, that you post on “The Daily Grind” (the blog) are your own.


The statements expressed on this blog to include the bloggers postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Academy of General Dentistry (AGD), nor do they imply endorsement by the AGD.