Friday, January 24, 2014

What a Pain!

What a PAIN! Literally.

Originally I had a different topic in mind for today’s blog, but my current week shifted my focus. Actually, it shifted my entire physical being. On Monday morning, as I was preparing to leave for the day, I wanted to do one more thing. I bent down and twisted, and it happened. I absolutely, positively torqued something in my lower back. Of course I have had periodic tightness and soreness in my lower back—I’ve been practicing full time dentistry for 10 years now—but I have never in my life had breathtaking pain.

Being the eternal optimist I believed that once I got moving and working, I would feel fine. Alas, no such luck. In fact, the more I moved, the worse I felt. I didn’t even attempt to sit to perform dentistry. Luckily for me, my schedule was 8-2 straight through and all operative was with UR quad or anterior. It was no small miracle that I wasn’t doing a double prep on #14 and #15 on the patient that can’t lean back or open more than 2cm.

By midday there was still no improvement. I began arguing with myself. Should I bail on the very important meeting I have set for 5 p.m. tonight and go to the chiropractor? Or do I wait and see? I mean, after all, it has worked so well for all those patients who believe their small cavities can wait, right?

Looking forward to the week ahead, I could see that my schedule was set to be busy and productive (a positive). I also saw that my schedule didn’t allow much time for me to sneak to the chiropractor until Friday afternoon (a negative). I hesitated to make a decision until the office manager explained it to me “You understand this isn’t going to get better on its own and you are not useful in the shape you are in. Get into the chiropractor and I will reset the 5 p.m. meeting.” I, stubbornly, didn’t want to be the reason that this meeting was put off once again. But the increasing pain in my back dictated she was right, as usual…

I discussed it with my partner, and he agreed as we joked about the physical demands of dentistry. (We also laughed that we should both being working on our core muscles regularly.) I had fallen victim to the notion that I would not be slowed by a physical limitation. I couldn’t have been more wrong in my life.

At home after the adjustment, I iced and loaded up on NSAIDs. I was certain this torture would get better soon. It had to. Unfortunately, it wasn’t until midday Wednesday that I felt semi-human, the smile that I was sporting was genuine again, I felt like a laugh was tolerable. Have you realized that your back is involved when you have a hearty belly laugh? It is! Though time will tell if I will be a habitual offender, my hope is that it will be another decade before I feel this pain again. I fear, though, that the frequency and intensity will be sooner and greater than I desire. For now, I am making it through.

Outside of regaining needed core strength, what else should I do to make certain I am not a victim to the L5S1 pain I have been enduring this week?

Colleen DeLacy, DDS, FAGD
Michigan

3 comments:

Ed Paul DDS said...

I had the exact same problem 2 weeks ago, except it made it impossible to work. I persuaded a physiatrist to be aggressive with x-rays and an MRI to get to the root cause. After a large amount of prednisone, I discovered bulging discs, stenosis, and slightly misaligned vertebrae. All problems that by themselves are manageable, but cumulatively add up to trouble. obviously, staying out of surgery is the key and it was felt that with constant and repetitive PT, this can be a nono-issue. However, we get into habits and once trouble occurs, it is always on the horizon. We need to be aware of our posture and absolutely keep up with our core stability!
PS: I've been doing this 25+ years and am quite physically fit...except for my back!

Anonymous said...

I can tell you from great experience that acupuncture can work miracles. I would do that before a DC because depending they can ruin your back forever, it happened to me twice in forty years. Once it was by purpose, trying to twist me; the second time the table snapped because the DC stepped on the pedal by accident. Both times it changed my life forever.

I would never see a DC that twisted (they call it adjusting) vigorously my neck or back - I have heard many horror storied - they can help and they can hurt you forever.

dr phil

Anonymous said...

You must schedule with yourself a daily appointment for an exercise period of one hour. Swimming is an excellent way to gain cardiovascular benefits while strengthening your core. Walking is also excellent. There can be no "ifs, and's or but's" to this daily appointment with yourself. Both hidden and felt stresses on the body - mentally and physically - take a toll on every professional. You are no exception to the rule! Good luck and good health. You must relax the body and the mind...


Kyle DeLoach
Life Coach, Facilitator, Speaker

Disclaimer

PLEASE NOTE: When commenting on this blog, you are affirming that any and all statements, and parts thereof, that you post on “The Daily Grind” (the blog) are your own.


The statements expressed on this blog to include the bloggers postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Academy of General Dentistry (AGD), nor do they imply endorsement by the AGD.