Wednesday, April 25, 2012

My Crazy Weekend

Happy Wednesday. I am sorry about not doing a blog on Friday. I gave my second paid lecture in Tampa. I thought I might get a blog in, but my fingers were shaking so much that I couldn't even type.

I left my house at 7:30 a.m. to take my son to school and headed for Tampa right after. The GPS said it was a one hour and 38 minute ride. So I would get there at 10 or so. I had a lunch planned with the Kuraray folks at 11:30 a.m. anyway.

I was driving with the air on and could feel myself getting hot. The air was freezing but I was sweating. My hands were shaking on the drive. This was not going to be good. I had not been sleeping well either. I don't know why I was so nervous.

I got there early, so I sat in the lobby of the hotel and worked on my lecture. (Yeah, adding new stuff to your lecture 1 hour before game time is always good.) I got myself so worked up over this thing. I think it was because of all the science stuff I added to lecture. I borrowed some slides from Kuraray and 3M and I just didn't want to sound like an idiot talking about this stuff.

I also added some composite science. You know - the difference between microfill, microhybrid, nanofill and nanohybrid. I am still trying to convince myself that I understand all this. I am pretty confident in the dentistry, but the other stuff is pretty tough for me, especially because it is ever-changing (and I slept through that class in dental school). But if I am going to be an "expert," I have to know this.

Lunch went well. The lecture also went pretty well and there was a pretty good turnout. The Kuraray people were there but both of them had work to do; after the first half of the lecture, they stepped out to do work. Totally understandable.

But the first half of the lecture was the buildup to the good stuff. Kind of like when you have a salad and maybe some chicken, but you know this restaurant has great dessert. You are just trying to get to that hot lava cake with ice cream. Well, the second part of the lecture is all photos of teeth – my wheelhouse.

The Kuraray folks got to see me fumbling and bumbling, trying to talk science. They didn't get to see me really shine. But I still think they liked me. We talked about doing more stuff together. They have great products, so I think it is a good fit.

I was wearing a suit and could feel myself getting very hot. I started the lecture with, “Is it hot in here?" I knew I couldn't take off my jacket because I was sweating through my shirt. Gross, I know. The audience was freezing and I was full-on sweating. But at the end, nothing but relief. I don't know where the time went. "Oh my gosh. I am done. Thank God.”

There were a lot of good questions and a good discussion. I talked to people afterwards. They came up to me and told me I had done a great job. I could see a lot of speaker evals, and they were all straight fives.

Even though I was so-so on how I felt, I think they really liked the lecture. Even though the sponsors didn't see the second part of my lecture, they will get the evals and that is all that matters.

That’s two down and 248 to go (I estimated it would take 250 lectures for me to afford the Replica Cobra and the mountain home I want).

But that was only the beginning of my weekend. Friday night we had some people over. Saturday morning I ran 12 miles at 5:20 a.m. Then I had to be out the door at 8 a.m. to get my oldest to his lacrosse game. I left the lacrosse game early to get to my other son's baseball game that started at 10:30 a.m.

I had a friend from dental school in town; he asked if I wanted to play golf with him. I got the green light from the wife. Tee time was 1:30 p.m. I thought about it and realized I haven't played golf, (without a kid or without it being a charity scramble) for over 10 years. It was fun.

You think that is a long day? Not quite. See, on Thursday, someone asked if we could use 2 tickets to The Lion King, playing here in Orlando at 8 p.m. So, straight from golf to the shower, then to the bar for an appetizer and a beer, then the play (very nice second row seats). The Lion King was really good, but seeing The Lion King for free was even better.

Next day, up and at ‘em for church. After church was a charity kickball tourney I signed the family up for. Then back home for a couple of hours before our Bible study started. Then I ran 5.5 miles at about 9 p.m. And then I crashed on the couch.

Now, that is an eventful weekend. Good thing I have Monday off. This time of my life is so crazy. I love every minute of it.
(my 2-year-old with Noah's gear on)

Every day, it is something different. I am telling you, every day!!! It is crazy, but awesome.

Soon I will be able to play golf whenever I want. But not now. See you Friday, john

No comments:


PLEASE NOTE: When commenting on this blog, you are affirming that any and all statements, and parts thereof, that you post on “The Daily Grind” (the blog) are your own.

The statements expressed on this blog to include the bloggers postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Academy of General Dentistry (AGD), nor do they imply endorsement by the AGD.