Thursday, January 26, 2012

Product Review

Hope things are going well for you and that you guys are busier than me. It has been such a grind lately. I think this lecture thing better take off soon because I might need that to pay the rent.

My father read my blog last Friday about old guys selling their over-priced stuff to the young guys who can't afford it (because the banks won't lend them the money). Even though it wasn't about him and me, it prompted him to come to me. We have agreed on the price and to the terms. Now I have to draw up a business model and go to the banks to see who will give me the best deal. It all sounds easy, but I know this is going to be a long process. I am getting tight just thinking about being the only owner of this sinking ship.

I’m making it sound worse than it is. I love this practice and the people that come here and the people in it. It is a great practice, but buying a practice that has decreased in production for the last 4 years is scary.

I want to talk about some filling products that I have tried recently. I have used the sectional matrix and BiTine ring for a long time. In the last 5 years, I changed my ring the Triodent V3 ring. This ring is so sweet. I kept using the sectional matrix.

But I bought a sample of Triodent’s SuperCurve matrix. Have you tried these? Wow! The sectional matrix is about 25% of a circle and the SuperCurve is about 50% of a circle. It wraps around the tooth. You might not think it would make that much of a difference, but it does. The gingival 1/3 of this matrix bends in to form the CEJ. It is pretty cool.

I usually work with Patterson. They have this deal where, during the year, you build up reward points. Turns out, at the end of the year, I had 1,200 points (each point being a dollar). I had to use $900 before the end of the year or I would lose it. Instead of buying things I really needed, I bought the SonicFill system from Kerr. Have you seen this?

Now, I struggle with using something that might not be as good as the stuff I am presently using. So I did my research and everyone really likes it. Reality and CR are all giving it great props. I used it today for the first time. Let me tell you that it turned out really nice. A lot of my stuff is not really material-dependent, but if it is less expensive and it reduces my steps, then I might try it.

While I was buying the SuperCurve matrix, I bought some 360° Cervical Matrix. This is basically a form guide you put on a facial filling after the composite and before the curing. It is clear; you put it on the filling and cure right through it. Wow, is this thing nice. I have always worried about whether or not the filling is tight in my facial box and about it pulling away at the margins. This thing takes care of both, and then afterwards the margins are like a baby's butt.

One last thing. I’ve started sealing my margins after a posterior composite. Burgess says that the occlusal wear is reduced by 15% if you use a sealer. That sold me. I bought Bisco’s BisCover LV. Not only do I feel better using it because I know it is going to make my fillings last longer, but it makes them look so good.

I know it is good to hear about it, but the proof is in the pudding. Here is a case I did this morning.

30-MO

 



I told you.  Really nice filling.  And this took me about 15 minutes.  No joke.  Adding the photos to the appointment made it 35 minutes.

Have you used these products before? What do you think? Do you have any products that I should know about? Have you checked out the AGD’s Product Review Directory? Let me know.

Hope your week is going well.

john

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love reading your product reviews... you should do more of these reviews. Great filling btw-like always!

Ricky

Anonymous said...

Whoa John! How the heck do you get that excellent secondary occlusal anatomy?! I know I'd sign up to see you speak.

gatordmd said...

Hopefully coming to a town near you.

Thanks
j

Disclaimer

PLEASE NOTE: When commenting on this blog, you are affirming that any and all statements, and parts thereof, that you post on “The Daily Grind” (the blog) are your own.


The statements expressed on this blog to include the bloggers postings do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Academy of General Dentistry (AGD), nor do they imply endorsement by the AGD.